When we imagined what it would be like to own a home, most of us didn’t envision snoopy neighbors peering down into our yard, or our small dogs getting loose and running through various backyards. There are many reasons you might find yourself craving a little more outdoor privacy and security. There are several solutions possible, and the right choice for you will depend on your preferences and privacy needs.
What You Should Know About Fencing
- There are many reasons homeowners might choose a fence for their yard. It is one of the quickest ways to ensure privacy, and fences can be made to any height. Pickets can be either close together or spaced out for varying degrees of privacy.
- Residential fencing options include wooden fences, wrought iron fences, and vinyl fences. Most fences will require some upkeep over the years — vinyl requires washing, and wooden fences require repainting or staining, for example.
- For heavy duty and high security needs, chainlink fences can be used. However, they will not provide as much privacy, and tend to have a more industrial look than more home-appropriate fencing options.
What You Should Know About Installing a Hedge
- Fast growing plants, such as columnar evergreens or Italian cypress, are popular options for hedges used to surround yards. Hedges are a natural way to separate space, and can be useful for ensuring privacy and also for creating a sound barrier.
- Hedges will usually require more upkeep than fences, however. Shrubs need to be frequently pruned in order to prevent a scraggly appearance. In arid areas, they might require additional watering. Non-evergreen hedges will often provide less privacy in winter.
- Hedges are less likely than fences to be regulated by codes pertaining to heights and design, making them a better choice for areas that more strictly enforce these rules.
Alternative Ways to Ensure Outdoor Privacy
- If you’re not looking for something to go around your entire home, lattice and wood panels for vine plants to climb up can add a touch of whimsy to your garden while shielding it from view.
- Fountains can be used to mask outside noises and also keep conversations more private, if that is something you are worried about. It’s one way to temper down the sounds of traffic or AC compressors without going to extremes.
- Creating a layered landscape design can add an interesting visual element to your yard, and also make it harder for prying eyes to look in.
Are you looking for outdoor privacy options? Let us know in the comments. Continue your research here.