If you own your home and are considering a renovation or remodeling project, you are not alone. In terms of kitchen renovation projects, about 76% of people who make any changes to their home, do something about this part of their house. This is a good way to increase the value of your home. People who make changes to their kitchens can see a return on investment (ROI) for the project of about 82.7%.
- Get referrals. The best way to get good products and services is to get recommendations from the people you know and trust. If you know people who own their own homes, you know someone who has used a contractor for some renovations on their home. Talk to your friends, family members, coworkers and neighbors. You can also check Facebook. Most cities and towns have groups and pages set up to promote local businesses.
- Ask the right questions. When you are talking to different contractors, there are some questions you should make sure you get answered. Here are a few:
- How many projects of this size have you done? You need to make sure they are ok doing your project and will give it the attention it deserves.
- Can I talk to current or former clients? You should be able to get references for the contractor. You should look into any testimonials they have on their website to make sure they are accurate and recent.
- Who will work on my project? Many companies who handle home remodeling have a number of people working for them. You should be comfortable with the people they hire, when it comes to working on kitchens, these people are going to be in and out of your home so you should feel comfortable with that.
- How long have your people been with you? You should look for a contractor who has a low turnover rate. You also want to make sure when you hire a contractor based on their reputation, they are the people who deserve that praise. There are times when a contracting company is sold to new people who are not as good as the original workers.
- What kind of permits are needed? When you have home additions or other work done, you may have to get a permit. While, most of the time, the home contractor will be the one to handle this, you will be held liable if they do not follow through. You will have a better experience if you take the time to look into what permits are needed to the work on your home.
- What kind of insurance do you have? You need to make sure the people you hire to work in your home have the right insurance. Asking about this is not enough, you will also have to verify whatever they tell you. If something happens as they are working on your home, you can be held responsible if they do not have the right kind and amount of insurance.
- Talk to at least three contractors. It is easy to want to hire the first contractor with whom you meet but this is a mistake. You should get estimates from at least three different companies and make sure you get everything in writing. This will make it a lot easier to compare the bids and can prevent any unpleasant surprises on your final bill. If you do not talk to a few contractors, you will not be able to make the most informed desicion because you will not know what all of your options are.
- Price is important but it is not everything. When it comes to jobs on kitchens and basements, it is sometimes tempting to go with the lowest bid or to think the highest will give you the best quality. The cheapest bids for kitchens being remodeled may end up costing a lot more if work has to be redone or the materials used are inferior. By the same token, the most expensive bid may not be from the best company in town.
Whether you are taking to contractors about kitchens or bathrooms, you can hire the right company if you take your time.