With winter weather quickly approaching, now is an excellent time to examine the water usage and systems within your home. It’s time to contact a nearby plumber for an evaluation of your home’s efficiency. Here are some tips for winterizing your home, and knowing how professional plumbing service can help prevent, costly repairs.
- Check your hot water heater.Is it time for water heater maintenance or replacement? The simple process of insulating your water heater will help save energy in the winter months. Water heater maintenance performed by a nearby plumber before your aging or inefficient heater endures another harsh season, a plumber can gauge safety considerations to prevent plumbing emergencies.
- Check your water main.Do you know its location, and how to shut off the source in case of extreme cold temperatures and the risk of a main break? This simple knowledge can save you significant repair bills from water damage, even if you do contact an emergency plumber.
- Monitor your water heater for any leaks.Simple adjustments like lowering the thermostat temperature saves money. Consider, too, alternatives that take up less space and heat water efficiently. Look for local plumbing services that can install a tankless water heater, which provides hot or ambient water on demand.
- Insulate your pipes – and get them checked while you are at it.A nearby plumber can help you save hundreds of dollars every year by checking all of your home’s pipes for leaks or cracks. Inquire about their emergency plumbing service availability, and if they have a 24/7 emergency plumber on call. If you are already a customer, you are more likely to receive timely plumbing service.
- Now is a good time to get sewer and drain cleaning accomplished.A plumber can provide sewer cleaning service in advance of any unforeseen and messy plumbing emergency such as a backup. Your family and your neighbors will thank you.
- Winterize your outdoor faucets to prevent major damage to your plumbing.Exposure to freezing temperatures can cause pipes to freeze and burst from ice pressure. Water should be drained from hoses and outdoor attachments, and exposed pipes’ water source should ideally be shut off for the winter months. Local plumbers are familiar with your local climate, and will advise their customers of any other advisable plumber issues to prepare for.
- Search for a nearby plumber that is licensed, and endorsed by satisfied customers.A query of a search engine with phrases such as (no punctuation required) plumber nearby, or local emergency plumber will provide you a good start in finding a reliable plumber.